Newburyporty Family Law & Divorce


Modifications may involve changes in financial orders such as child support or alimony, or they may involve changes in child custody or a parenting plan. A modification action can often be as complicated and intricate as your original divorce. We can help. If you and your former spouse or partner think you can mediate and work out a Modification Agreement, please click here for information on Mediation.

If you and your former spouse or partner are not able to mediate, we will first try to negotiate a settlement with the lawyer representing your former spouse or partner so you can avoid the time and expense of a trial. If a settlement is not possible, we will narrow the issues and develop precise legal arguments to obtain a straightforward court ruling.



Contempt Complaint may be filed when one party believes the other has not complied with an order or a judgment of the court.

If you and your former spouse or partner have a temporary order or a final judgment that provides for a certain amount of support, or sets up a parenting plan, or calls for the transfer of certain property, and your former spouse or partner has not complied, we can help. We will file a Complaint for Contempt on your behalf, asking the court to force your former spouse or partner to comply, and also seeking attorneys’ fees on your behalf so the action does not leave you worse off financially than you would have been had your spouse or former partner complied in the first place.

If you are served with a Complaint for Contempt that claims you have not complied with a temporary order or judgment of the court, we will investigate the specific matter complained of, look at the exact language of the order or judgment, and prepare the best argument possible to avoid having the court find you in contempt.

Contact us

    *I understand the use of this form for communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.